There are dozens of communities and countries banning single use plastic bags. Check them all out by clicking here -
Track the Movement
|Fort McMurray Greg Halinda Photography|
- France 2016
- European Union by 2019
- Santa Monica, U.S.A. Ban: Supermarkets, convenience stores, liquor stores, pharmacies are all banned from distributing single use plastic bags, March 9, 2011
- Brownsville Texas Ban Ban on plastic shopping bags at point of sale, Jan. 1, 2011
- San Francisco 2012
- Italy Jan. 1, 2011 Italy banned the plastic ban throughout the whole country.
- Bangladesh In 2002, Bangladesh banned polyethylene bags in the capital Dhaka after they clogged drains in the 1988 and 1998 floods.
- South Africa In 2003, South Africa banned thin plastic bags. Wangari Mathaai, the 2005 Nobel peace prize winner, linked plastic bag littler with malaria. When thrown out, the bags fill with rainwater, which make breeding grounds for malaria carrying mosquitoes.
|Buying reusables. Greg Halinda Photography|